"The Happiest Day for Simeon and Sula"

"The Happiest Day for Simeon and Sula"
Children's Book

Simeon and Sula Dolls

Simeon and Sula Dolls
Purchase and help those who suffer

Hajiba (middle) widow who made dolls

Hajiba (middle) widow who made dolls
Supporting the widows in Kenya

Simple Hope East Africa Director Charles Mpanda

Simple Hope East Africa Director Charles Mpanda
Dedication of SHEA Food! Thank you Country Director Charles Mpanda for your help!

Building a bridge of love between our worlds

Building a bridge of love between our worlds
Hand in hand we help each other!

Matonyak Orphanage

Matonyak Orphanage
Sharing Love with an orphan

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Becoming a Rice Farmer

Well, as they say, make hay when the Sunshine's...that is just what I did. I had a wonderful opportunity to learn and experience the life of a rice farmer here in Tanzania. I drove for nearly 3 hours yesterday to get to a village called Magugu (near Babati) to meet with the local rice farmers. Our driver knew the "local" farmer and we picked him up and then drove for miles and miles and miles to get to the rice fields. The setting was so peaceful and beautiful. The back drop of these fields was the Rift Valley Wall. It was in a valley and very very HOT!!

There were the 3 of us that walked and worked with the rice farmers. I will tell you that my thoughts have changed since experiencing the life of a subsistence farmer. They work and toil so hard each and everyday and earn nothing for their work, yet they are dedicated to this work.

We walked for miles through the rice fields. There were little hills or moats about 4 inches wide above the mud/water where the rice grows. The meaning of "watch your step" has a whole new feeling. Upon one of the many steps I took, my sandals slipped and into the mud I went! So as they say "jump in with both feet" I did just that!! I was full of mud before we had even arrived to where we were going to help. The local farmers laughed more and more after seeing me!! I even laughed myself..wondering what my purpose was in all this!!

We met the woman who pounds the rice out!! She was small in stature and yet I believe could have taken me and whipped me around!! She would take her two hands and wrap them around a foot of rice stalks and pound pound pound. I had to do this with her so I did. Nothing could have prepared me for this experience. After the rice was pounded out, it is taken on their heads or backs to be laid out in the sun to dry. We went to the area where the rice seeds were drying then were told to take our shoes off and start "turning" it over. They walk back and forth for hours and hours drying this rice. After we did this, we went to the rice "shelling" machine. This machine takes the husks off the rice and separates it. Once it is separated it gets put into bags and sold at the market. There are women who take big buckets and sift through the rice to catch the rocks that are found in with the rice.

So much goes into obtaining that one piece of rice!! I will never ever blink again at the price of rice. This is a job everyone should have the experience of doing once in their lifetime. I know I am blessed to have been able to walk the walk and share with them how much I appreciate their hard work!!

Until next time~

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment